Monday, January 25, 2010

Conversion of St. Paul

I have always loved this feast. Paul really was a good person, religious, zealous, and holy. He just did not, or maybe could not, accept the message of Jesus or the mystery of the passion, death, and resurrection. Like so many others this was too much for him to bear. One way to deal with those things we do not like or understand is to eliminate them.

The voice of Jesus overwhelms Paul. He becomes child-like in that he now needs to be led and cared for. As his eyes are open he begins to proclaim the 'Good News.'

I think about being "called" to priesthood. I sincerely wish there were voices and lights and stuff. But I realize too how different my reason of being a priest is today, than it was say 20 or 30 years ago. In college I would have told people I want to be a priest to help otehrs. Today it have a lot to do with proclaiming the Word of God, and challenging people to faith.

In all of us there has to be that ongoing conversion and discipleship. I am really sure of this. Like Paul we have to be open to the meeting of Jesus Christ througout our journeys of faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment