Monday, July 12, 2010

The art of mentoring

Time and again I have become aware that I am one of the older priests in the diocese. I look around and see that there are as many active priests older than myself, and many more who are younger. When I was a seminarian I would go to these seminarian/priest gatherings and be in awe of men who were ordained twenty-five, thirty, and even forty years. I would enjoy listening to their stories, and admire their friendship.
While I would refer to a dozen or so of these men as models of priesthood, each of them were a great example of priestly ministry and priestly life. As a young priest I would call some of the older pastors concerning pastoral situations, and for priestly advise. I so not know how many of these men realized how valuable they were for my own presbyteral formation.
As an older priest now, I have begun to recognize how important mentoring is, in particular for the younger men. This is not only for those few who have called to ask a question, or who need coverage at their parish, but also in priestly gatherings as well. It is easy to get into the "us" and "them" mentality, musing about how we did things, in the day. But that becomes destructive to our personal and fraternal relationships.
I had emailed a younger priest some months ago about a reconciliation service. He was a most excellent presider. I told how much I appreciated his enthusiasm and reverence. I know that he was thankful for the compliment and really hoped that would be a building block to continue doing the good things that were already evident.
But I really do believe that whatever life we are in, it is important to be a mentor to each other. In our post-modern age we become so self-identified, we can block our selves off from others. We look at others interaction as intrusive as opposed to supportive or instructive. If we really look at ours as a faith journey, than it becomes crucial we watch over those who are on the road with us. Think about what it would be like if we went to our elders and sought advise and understanding. Or if older parents assisted and encouraged younger parents. It would be a good thing.
While I do not have a long white beard, I think that new part of ministry for myself is that of mentoring. With the other old priests to watch over and care to the young presbyters who are beginning this lifestyle. This will be our disciples response.

No comments:

Post a Comment