Monday, October 10, 2011

Those red letters in the book

Last week I had a wedding, which was not the worse, but was frustrating all of the same.  We started fifteen minutes late since everyone was busy being hidden.  Someday I am going to sit in the rectory watching the ballgame, and have someone come get me when the wedding party makes it to the altar.  In some ways funerals have become a source of frustration as well.  I have noticed in recent years the emphasis is more on a memorial of the person than a connection to faith and resurrection.  An then there is the ever present need for someone to do a eulogy.

I write of this as I had read an article by a bishop which cautioned against using "Pastoral Necessity" for allowing a sundry of questionable liturgical practices.  Unfortunately many of the allowed practices are done so to retain a sense of peace, or the very fragile faith of many who come forward for sacraments.  While catechesis is the appropriate response to much of these misconceptions, often times there is no good time for a thorough teaching on sacraments, liturgy, and the rites.  In a room full of the family who has just lost a wife and mother, it is difficult to explain why a eulogy is inappropriate.  Outside of this venue you do not have access to these same people.

The difficulty becomes then 'Father' is either part of the mean and evil Church that will not let the family express this very special moment, or you hope that by giving a little peoples will have an experience of faith.  Part of the solution is that faithful catholics need to know why we do the things that we do, and share this knowledge with family and friends - in an unapologetic way.

Which brings us to the Liturgy and the rituals themselves.  Everything we do in the Church has an order to it.  There are rubrics (those directions in red letters) which the priest must follow.  As a priest, at Mass, I have to wear the proper vesture, and when I come to the altar, I have to venerate it.  This is not an option.  It is part of the ritual.  And while I really enjoy some British poets, we have to use the proper scriptures for the day as the readings.  We do not start from scratch for each ritual.

The celebration of the Mass and each ritual hopefully draws people closer into a faith relationship with God.  The signs and symbols that we use should help in that task, and speak to the mystery that we are celebrating.  To be sure in baptism total immersion would be a powerful sign of our being washed clean from Sin, and being united to God.  There are certainly some practical problems here.  Young people should really not be wearing stoles at Confirmation since this is a sign of the Presbyters office.

If we know and understand the ritual language and the actions that are occurring, our celebration and participation becomes deeper.  Moreso we are no longer spectators but actively involved.  I always remind people that the Church already gives us scripture and music so as to make the rituals speak to a particular nuance.  But these are always the Church's actions and not a private act of faith.

How we worship says a lot about what we believe in.  Our act of faith is made manifest in our prayer and in our worship.  It might be good to take a good read at the ritual from the Church before we do any planning.

2 comments:

  1. I remember when a relative died, the church where his funeral was held had us submit memories of the deceased. I wrote about picking apples and tasting the tart ones. Lo and behold, the liturgist (why a church needs one when they have a priest is a whole other issue) wrote a saccarhine poem about "mischievously pocketing apples" that was read during the funeral. It was a distortion of my memory and of the Mass.

    Pastoral need is just a defensive wall timid priests hide behind when they are confronted with today's "make me feel good" culture. Thanks for being honest about how it's not the correct route, Father.

    I also like how you mention that the Church provides everything for her liturgies. At my parish, they replace all the propers of the Mass with hymns, which all too often fail to reflect the texts of that day's Mass. Why? Because the GIRM says these propers may be replaced due to "pastoral need." I've heard, though, that the revised Missal restores these chants. Hopefully that will toll the bell for "Here I Am Lord" or "On Eagle's Wings."

    ReplyDelete
  2. .... and I don't think I've heard the word "purgatory" at a funeral since my dad died in 1997 and my mom asked everyone for prayers....mostly I hear things like "Uncle Eddie is laughing at us from Heaven today"....

    ReplyDelete