Friday, January 29, 2010

A prophet is without honor


I grew up on the west side of Rockford, and we belonged to St. Patrick Parish. We had a lot of fun and a lot of experiences. St. Patrick was a great parish. I was one of seven or eight priests for the Diocese that was from St. Pat's. Years ago some of the older parishioners commented how nice it would be if I were their Pastor. While I never said so, I knew that such an assignment would never work out. They remember "Ken" from the Anderson family, an altar server, Irish dancer, quiet yet goofy teenager. And I knew them as well.

In Lk 4:21-30 the folk are not real keen at what Jesus has to say. In matter of fact he makes them mad. How dare Mary and Joseph's kid talk to them in this way. Being a prophet amongst our family and friends is no easy task. In counseling we often speak about the elephant in the living room. No one wants to talk about the large animal in the middle of our house, so we re-arrange our comings and goings so we do not have to consider what is truly making us uncomfortable.

Prophets have a difficult task. This is why no one wants the role. People will often chase the prophet type person with sharp sticks and pointy instruments. And really that is part of our role from Baptism. I think that is way I am so fond of the Emperor's New Clothes, story. It is the innocence of the child that points out that the emperor is naked. The child has nothing to lose in speaking the truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment