Monday, January 3, 2011

stewardship and evangelization

http://www.catholicscomehome.org/

Go forth and share the 'Good News.' At another time and place people came into our churches looking to become part of our faith. Today we really need to go out and pound the pavement, get old catholics to come back, and to evangelize new catholics. But, we also have to have something at the parish for these folks to come back to. Our liturgies, programs, and classes have to excite the spirit of the men and women who come through our doors.

Two of the programs that I still want to do is the, "Seeking Christ," and the "Awakening Faith." The latter I tried earlier with little success. Lots of time the people who come to these programs are not the ones who need it (or at least in my estimation) I once had an older woman tell me, "I have no idea what you're talking about at these classes, but I like hearing your voice." This can't be good.

Anyway these very foundational courses are for fallen away or inactive catholics. In a very real way we have to go to their homes and invite them. Otherwise they ignore the invitation.

This summer I would like to try a series of neighborhood masses at peoples homes. Get some volunteers throughout the community, have Sunday mass in the evening, and then maybe a potluck dinner. It cannot hurt. Hopefully it can foster some new relationships in these communities.

I am getting to the point where I want to walk around town, knock on doors, and things of that nature. When I go to school or RE events, I recognize less than ten adults at these gatherings. I am about a year behind where I wanted to be at this point, but I cannot waste time picking at my belly-button weaving prayer rugs.

We cannot afford to have a parochial vicar. I will make this known to Rockford. If they send us someone, that is fine, but we really need more money at the parish.

Anyway, tomorrow I hit the office running with funerals, meetings and more meetings. I get to go and do home visits later in the week. I am excited about that. And Lent is around the corner.

No comments:

Post a Comment