Thursday, May 10, 2012

Church as an image of Christ

This past week we had our Jubilarian Mass and luncheon.  I have been ordained for twenty-five years come June.  As always it was great to be with the brothers.  The Bishop is the main celebrant and homilist.  His homilies for this occasion have always been distinctive and unmatched.Being with the Brothers always causes me to consider why I had made this choice to begin with.  So much of it has to do with the priests I grew up with.  Probably the biggest inspiration is the understanding of priesthood as something prophetic and truthful.

I had visited with an older gentleman this afternoon and told him about a time I had been at the bedside of a dying woman, and the conversation I had had with her.  I can honestly say that I had brought comfort to her, and perhaps even made her better able to accept what was happening in her life.  In both telling the story, and the subject of the story itself, I can recognize the value in the lives of so many people.  In recent weeks there has been much said about the power and authority present in those in the Church.  I always think that I must have missed something because I do not feel powerful or that I have a lot of authority.

A few weeks ago I was with some of our young people and we were discussing Theology of the Body.  It is always very uncomfortable, but I got the kids to laugh.  I felt good about that.  I hope that whatever we were able to discuss that night made a difference n their lives.  At the ordination rite the Bishop hands the newly ordained the chalice and bread, with the command to imitate the mystery he is celebrating.  The is an immense challenge that would not be possible without the inspiration and support of the Holy Spirit.  We are invited to consider that we do not do the ministry of the Church on our own.

As the Church we have receive the image and presence of Christ in the sacraments and the Word, in order make known the Good News to all peoples at all times.  There are days in which I had spent so much time with budgets or personnel issues, that it really 'feels good' to visit the home bound or be with the little children.  Because in the end I am called to teach, preach, and sanctify.  As Church it is important to remember this from time to time.  It is easy to become distracted with the activities of supporting the ministries rather than doing the ministries themselves.

It is certainly important to have a structure and a protocol in matters of being Church.  But in a world that includes violence, anxiety, sin, and confusion, we have to present the compassion and mercy of Jesus Christ to the world today.  Our preaching needs to be bold and centered in the truth; in addition to extending compassion and love to our hearers.  More so as a Church we are asked to step into the lives of the many people that we serve.

Go and proclaim the Gospel of the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment