Monday, February 7, 2011

Green Bay Packers and Jesus

I will occasionally mention to folks that the "G" on the Packer uniforms stands for God. Of course Wisconsin is considered God's Country. The Superbowl was a most excellent game. I am happy about the score, not just because my Packers won, but it was a close game all the way through. There have been some past games where I want to go off and balance my checkbook. This was not one of them.

I watched the game with some parishioners of a brother priest. It was a really good time. Again the Packers won, and there was a lot of good food and conversation. The family dog decided to attach itself to me all evening. And my cell phone didn't ring once.

Sometimes at these gathering, religious or even semi-religious, conversation comes up. Since 'Father' is trapped we can put all of these questions and pondering to him. And there were no major theological or moral quandaries, but religious topics would surface here and there. It occurred to me this was where Jesus did his best work. At Simon Peter's house the cure of his mother-in-law caused a busload of the sick and suffering to come by his front door. At the house of a leading Pharisee, the cure of a man with a physical deformity led to a teaching on Sin and Evil. These were moments when Jesus revealed the Kingdom.

Moms and Dads are the first teachers of faith. Perhaps family meal prayer could begin with the question, "What do we need to pray for tonight?" So much of what our families struggle with can be brought to faith at the family dinner table. With parishes having hundreds, and even a few thousand families, Father have to ever worry about dinner. Invite Father to dinner and prepare for the sacraments, or discuss life, death, sickness, or disease. Not a bad idea.

Religion and faith do not necessarily have to be done in the Church, school, or in Father's office. i think that some of the best religion conversations I have had are with strangers as I am leaving one place and going to another. The conversation always seems to begin with, "Are you a priest?" Those are the times also that folks want to converse about 'theology.'

Even at times as basic as a football game we can have God discussions. Of course when watching a team with a "G" on their helmets, it sort of makes sense.

1 comment:

  1. I love that part, in the Catechism I think, which says the family is the first church.

    ReplyDelete