Friday, February 26, 2010

This is My Beloved Son


I like the story of the Transfiguration. (The image above is not the Transfiguration) I was at Mt Tabor about two years ago. Its not a hill, it is a huge mound which stands about 1,800 feet above the valley floor. It has been a holy place for peoples in Israel, Christians and Jews, for centuries. Jesus is transfigured into his glorious self, with Elijah and Moses. It helps us understand that Jesus is the fulfillment of both the law and the prophets.

When I went to St Meinrad Seminary, the place sat on a hill. From the fifth floor of the main seminary building you could view the surrounding countryside of southern Indiana. Its pretty impressive and really peaceful. My spiritual director would remind me occasionally that I could not stay there; I was called to serve the people of northern Illinois. Even today I occasionally long for the serenity and peacefulness that the seminary offered. St. Mary Parish seems to alway be in the middle of chaos and crisis.

But recollections of St Meinrad offer some focus and solace. I wonder whether Peter, James, and John, found themselves remembering Tabor on that Thursday night, and Friday afternoon. Even many years after the resurrection how much more could they speak about the glory of Jesus Christ, not only witnessing his suffering and death, but also seeing his glory.

We all need the Tabors and Meinrad's to help focus us in the passion, death, and resurrection of Jesus. We understand that we cannot stay there, but it is good to gather around the Bread of Life that gives us strength and nourishment for the journey. Eventually we all need to go out and love and serve the Lord.

Lent is a really neat time to remember covenants and the promises of Jesus Christ. When we bless ourselves coming in to church, we call to mind our baptism and the dying and rising of Jesus Christ. May this continue to be a fruitful journey of faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment