Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Chastity and charity

I got back a little while ago from our eighth grade R.E. class. We are beginning our Diocesan Chastity program. I like it, it relies heavily on the catechism of the Church, and the scriptures. It is quite a difference from teaching fifth grade boys the 'facts of life.' In this small group they are "grossed out" by some of the blatant sexual inuendo that exists in our world. Or at least they say that they are. I can only hope that their distaste for making sexuality something ugly or base continues throughout their lives.

Bishop Doran was my marriage and family life teacher in high school. A stellar teacher to be sure. He had us read C.S. Lewis' The Four Loves. A great text which I continue to use today. The parts are Friendship, Eros, Affection, and Charity.

I think that the latter is a natural outcome of the relationship which is solely based on the love of Jesus. When we can tend to others well, offer compassion, forgive, and allow ourselves to be forgiven, Charity begins to take shape. Great couples are very giving people and maintain a sense of dignity towards their spouse and all others around them.

It was good tonight to plant these ideas with these young people. I just hope these thoughts will bear much fruit down the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment