Saturday, March 13, 2010

I turn 50 today


In junior high I read a story in which the main character was going through some sort of mid-life crisis. He was meeting people from his childhood, and it became apparent to him that he was getting old. At fifty I have yet to have that experience. I do have appointments today, a wedding, confessions and mass tonight, and tomorrow it starts all over. I do sort of wish that you could a day off for your birthday. My only birthday wish would have been to sleep in today.
Anyway I am named after some uncle that I do not remember meeting. If I understand the story correctly he was a researcher at UW-LaCrosse (my paternal homeland) Kenneth is a form of the name, 'Kennet,' which is Welsh. Our family actually has some Irish members and Kennet is proff of that. St. Kenneth was a Welsh monk and abbott who lived about the 5th century. He established three abbeys in present day Wales, was a teacher and theologian.
It was the Irish monks that gave us the present day form of Reconciliation, more or less, and a spirituality more suited to western Europe. Of course in the nineteenth century the Irish priests came with many of the immigrants to help establish the church in America as it pushed westward.
I do enjoy sharing with those of Irish background, that it was my forbearers the Vikings, who in 998 A.D, invaded and conquered Ireland. It is a bit if trivia that I delight in sharing with others; especially the Irish.
If I had the time, I would spend the day visiting the significant places in my life, especially western Wisconsin and Island Avenue in Rockford. But I have budgets to do, letters to write, and evaluations to complete. I am going to finish morning prayer and get to work.

2 comments: