Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Passing on the Faith?

It was interesting this past Sunday, during the adoration with the youth group. I suppose I noticed it before, but it struck me on Sunday night, how few prayer responses the young people knew. As I went through the Glory Be, and the litanies, we had to walk these young adults through the responses. Now granted I am not really a public reciter of the Rosary, and there are a few other devotions I am only aware of, some of the basic prayer models are very absent.

Now I am not going to launch into blaming the secular public education or the Church after Vatican II. When I observe some of our more orthodox brothers and sisters, and even those of the Jewish faith, there does seem to be a more complete catecheses. Maybe it is not enough to do the prayers with our children, but to offer a theology lesson as well. But I think that this is part of the difficulty. To be able to teach we also have to know. If our religious education ended at eighth grade, it would be hard to explain the Triduum, precepts of the Church, or even the Church's teachings on social justice.

I have reminded our junior high children that if they carefully read their religion books, they will have a greater knowledge of religion than their parents. And that is really sad. We have at various times offered Catechesis for adults. We have the same ten to fifteen people there. But I really wonder how many out there would like to understand the Church position on any variety of topics. Some people will tell me, "Father if you just say it from the pulpit." 8- 10 minutes at a homily is barely enough time to even begin some of our topics.

the Second Vatican Council emphasized the importance our taking responsibility for our faith. I like to use the example of making prayer rugs out of navel lint. There has to be more than staring at our belly button. We can't defend our faith, or pass it on if we ourselves do not understand it. Again its that whole thing of conversion and discipleship by sharing our faith in witness and Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment