Wednesday, April 21, 2010

To Know

When I was very young, in grade school, I thought that the teachers in the upper grades were a lot smarter than the teachers in our grades. I mean lets be real, to teach first graders all you really needed was a solid fourth grade education. Or so I thought. I even remember being amazed when a third grade teacher became the fourth grade teacher in the class across the hall. She must have gone to summer school or something.

When we became altar servers (really altar boys since there were no girls) Father Raun mentioned that to be extraordinary servers we should attend these special Saturday morning classes. He had a bible study for fifth graders! We spent five Saturdays in and around Lent looking at the Prophets. It was great. This short time was one of the best things I could have done as a child. It put religion into a different perspective.

In my life I have met some really smart people who lack a lot of common sense, and some wise persons who went through high school. One of the aspect of Benedictine life I have always admired is the insistence of study, prayer, and work. It has become so apparent as I wander through my daily tasks, the value of being able to reflect on life and its meaning and people. It is good to know things, but also important to understand their interaction within the world.

I think about that in our faith. I was at a workshop some weeks ago on the Sacrament of Reconciliation. One of my brother priests went on about making distinctions between serious and grave matter. Why not, I thought, be compassionate and understanding, tell the penitent that God loves them, and offer absolution.

It is very good to be able to knows tomes of stuff. But we have to be able to use what we know to give water to the thirsty, food to the hungry, and to comfort the sick and grieving. Sr. Anna Patrice would ask if we were posing for a holy card, if we simply sat in her class. Our faith cannot have wallflowers, but needs to engage the head and heart in action.

No comments:

Post a Comment