Thursday, March 17, 2011

From Doing to Being

On one of the message boards I frequent, someone who sought cause something of a stir, declared that he/she was giving up the Church for Lent. Of course I laughed and slapped my knee. It is interesting the idea of 'giving up' something for Lent seems so prevalent. Even though many of us were encouraged to "do" something for Lent, during the sixties and seventies. But perhaps it isn't the things, but the behaviours and attitudes that cause all sorts of consternation that we should be giving up.

I read a book entitled, From Maintenance to Mission, one or two years ago. The book challenges parish leaders to follow the ministry of Jesus in working for the mission of the Kingdom of God. That is, stop directing programs and begin to pastor lives. It makes a lot of sense. But the same can be said for Lent. We spend a lot of anguish in making ourselves uncomfortable for five weeks, so we can go back to what we were doing before.

The whole idea of conversion is to get rid of that stuff that causes us to move into Sin and sin fullness. For instance, when I am together with other priests, I am trying not to rattle on and complain about the Diocese or my brother priests. If there is something constructive to discuss, I will talk about it, if not then silence is the best option. This is something I want to continue beyond Lent. I need to go to doctors on a regular basis. Another good habit to begin.

Rather than doing the status-quo, work towards true conversion and change. I am reminded of people who come to the sacraments who wonder how little they have to do to receive the sacraments. Obviously it is not done in that manner, but you get the idea. The question for all of us is where do I need to grow and stretch. What greatness do I want to achieve, and how do I get there.

If this is to be a holy season it needs to be punctuated by opportunities for conversion and discipleship. Lately I have been reminded of how important it is to pray to the Holy Spirit. As St. Paul says we do not pray as we ought, and we need to rely on the Holy Spirit. So let's ask the Spirit to guide us to truth about who we are in relationship with God.

No comments:

Post a Comment