Wednesday, March 24, 2010

I confess ...

Yesterday my brother priests and I attended a clergy day, on Confession. The presenter was a Father Dennis McManus, formally of Georgetown University. Now I was ready for an overly pious, or even heady discussion in the sacrament of Reconciliation. I was extremely surprised.

Father reiterated throughout this discussion the ministerial nature of the sacrament. Just as Jesus forgave Sins, and drew people into con version and discipleship, we are expected, as priests, to minister to penitents who come to us for this awesome sacrament. Taking time with the sacrament, making it convenient, preaching about it, and holding it out as a tool in our spiritual journey, are all pieces of making this a holy encounter with Jesus. Moreso Father reminded us priest type people that we also needed to go to confession.

At St. Mary Parish, I have been impressed with the amount of people who come to confession, and more importantly the quality of confessions. I am happy that I added extra confession times throughout the week. We are sometimes busier on Wednesday nights and Saturday mornings, than the more traditional Saturday afternoon. I was at one place where the reconciliation rooms doubled as a storeroom and R.E. closet. Lots of people came in - to obtain a box of candles, or an extra religion book.

When we look at the Prodigal Son, Woman at the Well, or the story of Zachhaeus, it is inspiring to see how the compassion and love of Jesus can and does move people to conversion and transformation. When we are honest with ourselves and see our sins and Sinfulness, hopefully we are courageous in approaching Jesus in this sacrament for healing and peace. Some of my junior high kids will comment on how "neat" it would be to hear confessions. They are sort of thinking its like 'E' television or something. But it is really a lot like doing spiritual direction.

So, next week is Holy Week, my most favorite time of year. I look forward to this. The Liturgies are most beautiful and always moving. Take care and God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment