Tuesday, March 30, 2010

While they were at supper

More out habit than anything else I end up walking by the people lined up to receive food on Tuesdays, by our food pantry. In the years I have done this I find them to be really nice people. I usually have the hound with me and they all want to pet Kosia. A lot of them are families and some I suspect live with two or three unrelated adults. I sure that their stories are interesting.

This week the gospels meticulously go through the last supper up to the agony in the garden. The disciples are almost like little kids and now their meanness and fear all come to the surface. And here is Jesus, as always, ready to reconcile all people by his passion death and resurrection.

And here is the Church, committed to the truth of the gospel, ready to share the Good News. Now I have never been really impressed by bishops and such. Some of the guys have the hierarchy all worked out for the next fifty years. I will be happy when we really do stewardship at St. Mary's, have lots of people at Eucharistic adoration, and small faith groups coming out of the woodwork. Someone once asked where my ideal parish was, I mentioned DeKalb, and they almost fainted,

I think that the Eucharist, broken bread with broken people, is so vital and essential to our Church. Our celebration of the Eucharist says so much about who we are on so many levels. As the sign of Christ's love it becomes the springboard that allows us to be with those folks who line up for food week after week. In the Eucharistic Prayer we pray for those who are gathered before us and all of our brothers and sisters, "Wherever they may by."

The Church teaches us that this mystery is the source and summit of our faith. In his pastoral letter, many years ago, Archbishop Mahoney, commented that our Eucharist begins and ends at home. It really makes a lot of good sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment