Wednesday, March 31, 2010

"Then, because so many people were coming and going that they did not even have a chance to eat, he said to them, "Come with me by yourselves to a quiet place..." This is from the sixth chapter of Mark's Gospel. That sense of business is what happens here a lot in the parish. It is not uncommon have an apple or fruit bar for lunch, and be interrupted by the phone. This week has been especially busy. Father and I have been rushing to the hospital all week, and have had confessions all week at different locations. I am looking forward to the celebrations themselves, but also looking towards my parents house and one of my sister's family.

But this is what we do. Last night I was with a group of high school students from a catholic high school, far away. These last several days I call to mind the other scripture also from Mark's gospel, "They were like sheep without a shepherd." As I bonce off of the walls here, I recognize how important shepherding the people of God really is. I threaten to run away to a monastery or cattle ranch. My brother priests and staff remind me that I cannot run away. To which I respond. "Why not?"

In seminary we used a theme (which I allude to occasionally) for Lent, Sin and Confusion. There does seem to be a lot of that around. Brokenness and dysfunction almost seem to be the norm anymore. I had asked a nine or ten year old about his family once, as he tries to explain the people in his house, he finally said, "Its sort of complex." Ten year old should not have complexity.

As we approach the high holy days, I am poignantly reminded that we really need shepherds today. There are a lot of hungry people who have been living off of junk food. They need to be nourished. Our Church needs holiness and conversion and discipleship. I think stewardship is very important, but so is catechises and evangelizing.

I am looking forward to the next few days. These are great days to celebrate our salvation. Have a blessed and joyous Easter.

No comments:

Post a Comment