Thursday, March 25, 2010

Annunciation

Today would be a nice summertime feast. Take some time in the middle of June or something to contemplate the Incarnation. Just before mass this morning my two major thoughts were not about Mary or an angel, but the dry cleaning I needed to pick up and candles for the Vigil. And maybe that's the point for putting this feast in the latter part of Lent.

For God there is a plan of salvation. St. John reminds us of the great love and mercy God has for us. But God is revealed to us in unexpected ways. When I go to the hospital most of the visits are very routine. Then there is that one patient who really needs a priest, the Eucharist, anointing, and even confession. It is easy to spend an hour with this person.

Moments of Solemnity come at inconvenient times. We don't get to plan our burning bushes or moments at the cross. Ignatius would remind us that we need to be prepared always to empty ourselves out on behalf of Jesus Christ. I know already that we will be busy next week. And as much as we plan there will be that person who needs to see Father, or the crisis that needs to be resolved. Each day we pray, Take Lord receive all my liberty, my understanding, my entire will. Your grace is enough for me. The prayer is actually a bit longer but that's good for now.

Tomorrow is another day of potential Solemnities. I can only pray, "I am the hand-maid of the Lord ...

No comments:

Post a Comment